Tuesday 1 April 2014

Roots and Leaves - Strawberry Love


So it's Spring now and Spring means gardening! I have wanted to do strawberries for awhile but didn't want to take up precious garden box space. Then my mom suggested doing hanging baskets and I was sold. 


Do you know how hard it is to find a good hanging basket that's pretty but also fairly inexpensive? Don't go to the gardening stores that's for sure. I finally went to Canadian Tire and found these lovely metal and fiber liner. Shop around-that's the moral of the story. 


I don't know much about growing strawberries. Everything I've learned is from my mom, a few gardening books and the back of the strawberry container. And of course the internet. Here's hoping they grow!


Did you know strawberries aren't considered 'true' fruit since their seeds are on the outside? Weird. Also did you know that there is such a thing as white strawberries? Uber weird! And the strawberry is actually part of the rose family which probably explains why both Crystal and I think roses smell like strawberries!


What's your favorite way to eat strawberries? I love them fresh with a bit of whip cream but apparently you can eat them stewed or even pickled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment